French Press is definitely the easiest way to brew coffee. Just add hot water with ground coffee and press, pretty straight forward brewing method.
We break down some of the frequently asked questions and brewing top tips about French Press in this post. You'll master this simple brewing tool in no time. Let's get started!
1. Metal filter.
You’ll get a good rounded and velvety bodied coffee with all the delicious coffee oil in the cup.
2. It's super easy.
Just add water and ground coffee in the brewer and press at 4 minutes. Definitely a great tool for starters.
3 Tools Your Need To Brew Perfectly with French Press
1. French Press - if you are brewing for more than 2 cups, get a bigger one!
2. Grinder - freshly ground coffee taste absolutely amazing.
3. Scale- for maximum consistency in every brew.
Lastly, freshly roasted coffee beans is a MUST!
How to brew with French Press
Here’s our favourite brewing recipe, 21g coffee to 300ml water, with 95ºc water temperature.
Step 1 : Pour hot water and ground coffee into French Press, start the timer and let it steep for 4 minutes.
Step 2 : At 4 minutes, use a spoon to gentle break the coffee (crust). This will make all the ground coffee on surface to sink bottom.
Step 3 : Scoop out any remaining grounds and bubbles on surface.
Step 4 : Press the plunger and wait for another minute or two.
Step 5 : Pour and enjoy!
French Press Brewing Top Tips
1. The use of spoon to gently break the crust at 4 minutes and scoop out all bubbles and grounds. This simple step makes your cup of coffee super clean!
2. After pressing the plunger, give a minute or 2 to let all fines set to bottom. This will drastically reduce the sediments pour into your cup. All hail gravity! 🙌🏻
3. Try a slightly finer grind than your usual grind size. You'll be surprise how the coffee turns out!
FAQ on French Press
1. Any coffee recommendations?
We recommend to brew medium or darker roast coffee on French Press. French Press is an infusion brewer, the extraction is much gentle as compared to drip. Espresso Roast coffees works really well too!
2. What's the perfect brew ratio?
We recommend a higher ratio with 7g of coffee to every 100ml of water. This give a good rounded body with medium roast coffees.
3. Do I need to pour all the coffee into another server to prevent over-extraction?
Nope, if you follow our recipe above the coffee will not continue to brew of continue to extract. Just pour straight into your cup and enjoy!
Have fun brewing!
Comments will be approved before showing up.
JWC Roastery is the brainchild of Nelson, an absolutely passionate coffee man. He has been roasting coffee in Johor Bahru since 2009, one of the earliest specialty coffee roaster in Malaysia. Here's a short interview with Nelson, check it out!
Cloud Catcher Roastery is our long time roaster partner. We met founder Elvin and Tristan when we first started Blaq Coffee in 2014 (Elvin was one of our early subscribers). Since then, they started Cafe Crema in Mont Kiara and Cloud Catcher Roastery, building sustainable relationship with coffee farmers and bringing lots of delicious coffees from all around the world.
Here's a short interview with Elvin, check it out!
The Hario V60 is our most favourite coffee dripper. It's the only brewing equipment that we brew with every single day, literally! This post is about everything you want to know about Hario V60, and some brewing pro tips for your perfect cup of coffee.