French Press is definitely the easiest way to brew coffee. Just add hot water with ground coffee and press, pretty straight forward brewing method.
We break down some of the frequently asked questions and brewing top tips about French Press in this post. You'll master this simple brewing tool in no time. Let's get started!
1. Metal filter.
You’ll get a good rounded and velvety bodied coffee with all the delicious coffee oil in the cup.
2. It's super easy.
Just add water and ground coffee in the brewer and press at 4 minutes. Definitely a great tool for starters.
3 Tools Your Need To Brew Perfectly with French Press
1. French Press - if you are brewing for more than 2 cups, get a bigger one!
2. Grinder - freshly ground coffee taste absolutely amazing.
3. Scale- for maximum consistency in every brew.
Lastly, freshly roasted coffee beans is a MUST!
How to brew with French Press
Here’s our favourite brewing recipe, 21g coffee to 300ml water, with 95ºc water temperature.
Step 1 : Pour hot water and ground coffee into French Press, start the timer and let it steep for 4 minutes.
Step 2 : At 4 minutes, use a spoon to gentle break the coffee (crust). This will make all the ground coffee on surface to sink bottom.
Step 3 : Scoop out any remaining grounds and bubbles on surface.
Step 4 : Press the plunger and wait for another minute or two.
Step 5 : Pour and enjoy!
French Press Brewing Top Tips
1. The use of spoon to gently break the crust at 4 minutes and scoop out all bubbles and grounds. This simple step makes your cup of coffee super clean!
2. After pressing the plunger, give a minute or 2 to let all fines set to bottom. This will drastically reduce the sediments pour into your cup. All hail gravity! 🙌🏻
3. Try a slightly finer grind than your usual grind size. You'll be surprise how the coffee turns out!
FAQ on French Press
1. Any coffee recommendations?
We recommend to brew medium or darker roast coffee on French Press. French Press is an infusion brewer, the extraction is much gentle as compared to drip. Espresso Roast coffees works really well too!
2. What's the perfect brew ratio?
We recommend a higher ratio with 7g of coffee to every 100ml of water. This give a good rounded body with medium roast coffees.
3. Do I need to pour all the coffee into another server to prevent over-extraction?
Nope, if you follow our recipe above the coffee will not continue to brew of continue to extract. Just pour straight into your cup and enjoy!
Have fun brewing!
Taiwan is a country with lots of delicious coffee! 😍 Check out all the roasted in Taiwan coffees here ☕️
Let's learn how to brew V60 coffee with Skye, founder of BEAM ☕️ Check it out!